Props!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Props!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup the P word- I am in charge this year and a bit overwhelmed- I wonder if I use this forum to ask some questions

Re: Props!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone?? just need some advice we regard to placing props on field-
    This year we have about 11 different props on the field in various locations- while the band director gave us a "Cheat sheet" so to speak that tells us where each prop precisely goes- that can be tricky due to "Steps" and new parents moving them- Looking for a short cut so that when the prop is placed "1.5 steps inside 45 and 5 steps from back hash)- that the prop can be placed quickly and easily (was thinking some sort of measuring string?? - any better suggestions?

Comment

the directors should be able to print you a map of the field showing exactly where they want them placed. Why leave it open to mistakes?

Comment

We always have a student assist in placement of the prop to avoid any confusion from a parent that may not be as well versed in reading a field...and you can't have any mistakes as it is easy to cause injury.

I hope this helps.

Comment

thanks and yes- I did ask for student help but in the event we don't get it -the confusion is usually with the amount of "steps" used to measure (I believe a step is 22.5" inches)- the issue is that if the location of the prop is 6 steps- that will be different for each parent- this is where I was trying to come up with other creative ways of measuring.... thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Huskyfan68 View Post
            thanks and yes- I did ask for student help but in the event we don't get it -the confusion is usually with the amount of "steps" used to measure (I believe a step is 22.5" inches)- the issue is that if the location of the prop is 6 steps- that will be different for each parent- this is where I was trying to come up with other creative ways of measuring.... thoughts?
            I imagine that your directors are using the 8 steps in 5 yards rule. It takes a little training to get used to, and a student would help here like Mr. Stone mentioned.

If anything, you could just used pre-measured strings stretched from a certain point (say the halfway hash between the front and the back of the field, or the back of the field).
            Formerly muse
            Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

thanks- We had our first show and of course even with laminated cards on every prop we get stuck with new parents who cannot count (not their fault) - I just wish there was a full proof- quick way to measure while on field (the issue is- we only have like 2 minutes so even the rope method is tough)- anyone think of a better-quicker way??

Comment

Just to clarify, I don't ask kids for help...each prop has one or more students assigned to it (depending on the size/weight) and it is their job to place the prop and are accountable for it.

Comment

Hi,
                  Our pit crew is responsible for getting props to the end zone only. Director expects band members to get their assigned props to their locations on their own. If they need help...we have a booster carry instruments and the kids help each other with prop placement. Practice how you play...and play how you practice...

Comment

Working...
                  X