Powder Springs 2017 Regional

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oboe12 View Post
    I think it's also worth pointing out - with no offense to the bands in attendance - that Harrison doesn't have bands of Franklin or Fort Mill's caliber to compete with this year.
    So are you opining that Harrison prepares and performs differently based on who will be at a competition?

Comment

I feel pretty confident about Cary as second, maybe Jackson County will snag third. Harrison is easily first.

I think it's also worth pointing out - with no offense to the bands in attendance - that Harrison doesn't have bands of Franklin or Fort Mill's caliber to compete with this year. Fort Mill is basically the longest standing top-quality program in South Carolina in this point, and Franklin arguably should have already been in GN finals.

Hard to say what actually would have happened in that rained out finals in 2015 with Harrison.

Also, Wando is the longest standing top quality band in SC right now. Only time Fort Mill has beaten Wando in competition has been in Atlanta when Wando's practice time was reduced by massive flooding and rain. Fort Mill had a down year last year by their own standards. JM Byrnes is on the rise again in SC. Fort Mill, Nation Ford, and Wando's programs will all see some sort of decline for a few years once new schools open in their respective districts. Fort Mill and Nation Ford really need to maximize their windows of opportunity before Catawba Ridge HS opens in 2019. Lucy Beckham HS is schedule to open 2020 which will draw students from Wando but Wando now has around 4700 students so the impact at Wando will not be the same as what Fort Mill and Nation Ford will experience

Comment

Originally posted by Notch View Post

So are you opining that Harrison prepares and performs differently based on who will be at a competition?
        I don't think at all that's what Oboe12 is saying. Just pointing out that there very few tried and proven bands in attendance at Powder Springs this year. I think the general consensus in past years with stiffer competition at Powder Springs was that Harrison was not the gaurenteed winner. This year however with no real large threats it would be very surprising to see them loose.

Comment

Originally posted by Band4Life View Post

Hard to say what actually would have happened in that rained out finals in 2015 with Harrison.

Also, Wando is the longest standing top quality band in SC right now. Only time Fort Mill has beaten Wando in competition has been in Atlanta when Wando's practice time was reduced by massive flooding and rain. Fort Mill had a down year last year by their own standards. JM Byrnes is on the rise again in SC. Fort Mill, Nation Ford, and Wando's programs will all see some sort of decline for a few years once new schools open in their respective districts. Fort Mill and Nation Ford really need to maximize their windows of opportunity before Catawba Ridge HS opens in 2019. Lucy Beckham HS is schedule to open 2020 which will draw students from Wando but Wando now has around 4700 students so the impact at Wando will not be the same as what Fort Mill and Nation Ford will experience
          Everything you said is true except your first point. For argument sake Fort Mill is the largest running successful band program in SC. If we're talking about time, Fort Mill has been winning Championships since 1976, and has never missed a regional or super regional finals (or semifinals for that matter). They have been competing in BOA since 1989. Very few bands in the country have had that kind of success for that long.

I'd say that Wando is probably the MOST successful band in the southeast ever besides Tarpon and maybe Lassiter.
          Last edited by Marimba11; 09-13-2017, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Marimba11 View Post

I don't think at all that's what Oboe12 is saying. Just pointing out that there very few tried and proven bands in attendance at Powder Springs this year. I think the general consensus in past years with stiffer competition at Powder Springs was that Harrison was not the gaurenteed winner. This year however with no real large threats it would be very surprising to see them loose.
            Those may be valid points; however, it will be interesting to see how Harrison's reduced size impacts their show. There is a reason why they are not competing in any super regional or attending GN's,, and their size may be the reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Notch View Post

Those may be valid points; however, it will be interesting to see how Harrison's reduced size impacts their show. There is a reason why they are not competing in any super regional or attending GN's,, and their size may be the reason.

Agreed. It is odd they are electing to not perform at the super regional right on their doorstep, regardless. I doubt they are really that much smaller but they were certainly already on the smaller side of the bands that achieve at a high level.

Comment

Everything you said is true except your first point. For argument sake Fort Mill is the largest running successful band program in SC. If we're talking about time, Fort Mill has been winning Championships since 1976, and has never missed a regional or super regional finals (or semifinals for that matter). They have been competing in BOA since 1989. Very few bands in the country have had that kind of success for that long.

I'd say that Wando is probably the MOST successful band in the southeast ever besides Tarpon and maybe Lassiter.
                Yes, Fort Mill has been winning SC State championships since 1976 in lower classes and there have been 2-3 year gaps as well. We dont see that with Wando in the highest level of SC competition. Only years Wando hasnt won SC State 5A since 2005 are the years Wando CHOSE not to compete in State Championship. Wando won 9 championships in a row at one point and was considered the best band in SC. Even though Fort Mill has won multiple SC championships since 1976, they were never considered the undisputed best band in SC as Wando has. There were times that Fort Mill wasnt even the best band in York County. Wando has had the longest run of success in the highest level in SC.

And as far as BOA is concerned, Fort Mill has never made finals at GN. And it wasnt until 2011 that FM won their first EVER BOA Regional. And making Finals in a small or week BOA Regional is not always a exceptional accomplishment. Akron 2012 is an example of such when only 14 bands attended the Regional.

Comment

Originally posted by Band4Life View Post

Yes, Fort Mill has been winning SC State championships since 1976 in lower classes and there have been 2-3 year gaps as well. We dont see that with Wando in the highest level of SC competition. Only years Wando hasnt won SC State 5A since 2005 are the years Wando CHOSE not to compete in State Championship. Wando won 9 championships in a row at one point and was considered the best band in SC. Even though Fort Mill has won multiple SC championships since 1976, they were never considered the undisputed best band in SC as Wando has. There were times that Fort Mill wasnt even the best band in York County. Wando has had the longest run of success in the highest level in SC.

And as far as BOA is concerned, Fort Mill has never made finals at GN. And it wasnt until 2011 that FM won their first EVER BOA Regional. And making Finals in a small or week BOA Regional is not always a exceptional accomplishment. Akron 2012 is an example of such when only 14 bands attended the Regional.
                  I agree 100%, but we're really talking about Powder Springs on this thread as the regional is this weekend and Fort Mill is not attending. Everyone on these forums is pretty much aware of Fort Mill's history as we have had many on here who like rehash it over and over and over again. Everyone is aware that Wando is the best band in the state and they have been rightfully so for many years. Trust me we all know.

Comment

... but they were certainly already on the smaller side of the bands that achieve at a high level.
                    I agree with that.

I personally really appreciate what Harrison brings to the field. They have a music quality that is hard to beat; very balanced and warm, and not too bright or overplayed. And they march very hard drill while playing difficult music. It's always a show I look forward to seeing.

Comment

I feel pretty confident about Cary as second, maybe Jackson County will snag third. Harrison is easily first.

I think it's also worth pointing out - with no offense to the bands in attendance - that Harrison doesn't have bands of Franklin or Fort Mill's caliber to compete with this year. Fort Mill is basically the longest standing top-quality program in South Carolina in this point, and Franklin arguably should have already been in GN finals.
                      I feel as if franklins show last year would have made finals on almost any other year. Their time will come though.

Comment

I can't see Cary beating Harrison but just as a point of comparison, Fort Mill was virtually tied with Green Hope in GN prelims and semis, and Cary's certainly every bit Green Hope's equal. So I'm not sure that the lack of Fort Mill here creates any obvious competitive change. Bottom line, Harrison wins if their show is on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornet View Post
                          I can't see Cary beating Harrison but just as a point of comparison, Fort Mill was virtually tied with Green Hope in GN prelims and semis, and Cary's certainly every bit Green Hope's equal. So I'm not sure that the lack of Fort Mill here creates any obvious competitive change. Bottom line, Harrison wins if their show is on the field.
                          ? Is Cary really that good enough? I've always seen them as moderately above-average as in making GN semi-finals every once in a while depending on the field, and Green Hope as just getting better recently and matching Cary at the moment.
                          Formerly muse
                          Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Cornet View Post
                            As band4life mentioned earlier Fort Mill had a down year last season by their own standards, placing pretty close to where they should have in semis. 2015 on the contrary was an on year for them, and probably one of the most successful seasons for that program in a long time.

As far as Cary is concerned there are loads of videos on YouTube of their 2017 show thus far. I don't see anything from them yet that would really challenge Harrison.
                            Last edited by Marimba11; 09-14-2017, 09:52 AM.

Comment

As band4life mentioned earlier Fort Mill had a down year last season by their own standards, placing pretty close to where they should have in semis. 2015 on the contrary was an on year for them, and probably one of the most successful seasons for that program in a long time.
                              OK, this is the last time i will post on this thread but people need some perspective on revisionist history that is being presented from someone who must be an alumni of FM.

Lets look at FM 2015 BOA season as I am not sure why it was "one of the most successful seasons"

Powder Springs. A weak lineup with the exception of Harrison and FM. Competition called after prelims because of rain. Harrison performed first in prelims. FM was 15th. Finals would have turned out differently. Yes, FM technically "won" that Regional based on BOA rules but it was not a full event. Its like calling a football game at halftime and giving the team in the lead the win.

Winston Salem. FM placed THIRD by a wide margin Dobyns - 82.45 Nation Ford - 82.20 Fort Mill - 78.30 How does "one of the most successful seasons" include this placing?

Atlanta Placed 5th. Beat Wando who had have their practice season wiped out by floods and rain. Harrison was over 2 points better.

There were several asterisks on that 2015 season. Too many to proclaim it as one of the most successful seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by thewho View Post

? Is Cary really that good enough? I've always seen them as moderately above-average as in making GN semi-finals every once in a while depending on the field, and Green Hope as just getting better recently and matching Cary at the moment.
                                I'm not sure I follow where you're going. I'm just stating math. Based on last year, Cary>=GH who was roughly equal to FM. My point, if I wanted to turn it into a prediction would be that FM wouldn't be especially likely to push Harrison competively any more than the best other bands that are there.

Comment

Working...
                                X