Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 DCI scores/discussion thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Originally posted by BoaDci View Post

    But SCV? Got a tenth on them in Minnesota.
    Eh fair enough. It did look like Bloo was going to run away with first for a while, just didn't really expect others to start catching up so soon into the season.
    Formerly muse
    Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by thewho View Post

      Eh fair enough. It did look like Bloo was going to run away with first for a while, just didn't really expect others to start catching up so soon into the season.
      I honestly didn't either, I guess coats really need to achieve a bit more- which honestly I think they can. I like BD more and more as the season goes on but it doesn't touch me as much as their past shows, not sure it's enough yet. SCV is good but I prefered their show last year so much more, maybe it's their new unis idk.
      Last edited by Marimba11; 07-16-2017, 06:15 PM.

      Comment


      • #78
        Originally posted by Marimba11 View Post

        I honestly didn't either, I guess coats really need to achieve a bit more- which honestly I think they can. I like BD more and more as the season goes on but it doesn't touch me as much as their past shows, not sure it's enough yet. SCV is good but I prefered their show last year so much more, maybe it's their new unis idk.
        I'm starting to think that Bloo may have started out a bit too quickly this year. Again, I don't pay too much attention, but that was the general sentiment I got out of some others.
        Formerly muse
        Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

        Comment


        • #79
          I think BD just may take the crown this year, unless Bloo does some major cleaning these next 2 weeks or so.

          Comment


          • #80
            Originally posted by Marimba11 View Post

            I honestly didn't either, I guess coats really need to achieve a bit more- which honestly I think they can. I like BD more and more as the season goes on but it doesn't touch me as much as their past shows, not sure it's enough yet. SCV is good but I prefered their show last year so much more, maybe it's their new unis idk.
            I hate this costume trend. I mean, I really hate it. And let's be clear, they're costumes, not uniforms. Same with Bluecoats. I know, I'l old and curmudgeonly. I know I'm not the authority on what drum corps is or isn't. I mean it's whatever it is, right? But 30 years from now when you've all been away from the game awhile and happen upon the 2045 DCI World Championships and the brass has been replaced with singers and dancers on hoverboards with canned music and a beatbox for percussion and the whole thing looks like a bad Super Bowl halftime presentation and you shout , "WTF happened to DCI!" then you'll know how I feel today.

            I like a lot of it. But a lot of it is off the rails for me. I knew the Bluecoats winning last year in spandex was going to set a bad precedent.

            Now excuse me, it's time for my Metamucil.

            Comment


            • #81
              Originally posted by OldSchoolTrumpet View Post

              I hate this costume trend. I mean, I really hate it. And let's be clear, they're costumes, not uniforms. Same with Bluecoats. I know, I'l old and curmudgeonly. I know I'm not the authority on what drum corps is or isn't. I mean it's whatever it is, right? But 30 years from now when you've all been away from the game awhile and happen upon the 2045 DCI World Championships and the brass has been replaced with singers and dancers on hoverboards with canned music and a beatbox for percussion and the whole thing looks like a bad Super Bowl halftime presentation and you shout , "WTF happened to DCI!" then you'll know how I feel today.

              I like a lot of it. But a lot of it is off the rails for me. I knew the Bluecoats winning last year in spandex was going to set a bad precedent.

              Now excuse me, it's time for my Metamucil.
              Didn't Crown wear spandex pants in 2013 win? Maybe that's where this whole downward spiral began, lol.

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Oboe12 View Post

                Didn't Crown wear spandex pants in 2013 win? Maybe that's where this whole downward spiral began, lol.
                Yes, their uniforms are spandex-y. But they look relatively traditional, whereas the Bluecoats uniforms are completely strange.

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by icemansun View Post

                  Yes, their uniforms are spandex-y. But they look relatively traditional, whereas the Bluecoats uniforms are completely strange.
                  Ah yes. #PurplePantsBand is coming back to me now.

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by Marimba11 View Post

                    I honestly didn't either, I guess coats really need to achieve a bit more- which honestly I think they can. I like BD more and more as the season goes on but it doesn't touch me as much as their past shows, not sure it's enough yet. SCV is good but I prefered their show last year so much more, maybe it's their new unis idk.
                    You have the same opinions as me!

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      I try not to watch videos online, because it can ruin the in person experience. What I will say is this. The Bluecoats, the hiding and coming out as the show progresses isn't anything new or innovative (last year how they did it was pretty cool..this year...ehhh). I am giddy as a kid on Christmas morning right now because of the action taking place. Tomorrow night should be great. Again, I won't be watching, but best of luck to all. One to watch out for, I truly believe is The Cadets. LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Like George says, "Trust the Process" Seeing how the title is up in the air...at least right now....I bet this will be a record setting year at DCI Championships.

                      Disclaimer: I'm not taking anything away from the kids, they ALL bust their butts on a daily basis. Kudos to the kids being involved in an activity instead of being on the street.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Let's over-analyze this costume thing for a moment. Has anyone looked closely at what Bluecoats are wearing? It might seem progressive, but it could also be viewed as unfinished. Last year's costume looked complete, but this year's, maybe not-so-much, yet. I don't expect this to happen, but if it does, then don't forget that you read it here first lol. Tee shirts are worn underneath traditional jackets. The pants have a stripe, like uniform pants. Suspenders are another element of classic uniforms. And the "Jagged Line" could double as a changing room, where the corps goes under cover, slips on its blue coats, then runs out in full uniform during the finale. I suspect that such a twist would be well-received. Just food-for-thought.

                        Regarding Regina's comment about The Cadets, I, too, really like their show this year. I don't know if they'll challenge for another title, but if they look over their shoulders, then I think they will see their crosstown rival quietly sneaking-up on the top cluster of corps with a wicked surprise for one-or-more of them.

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          I personally love the BD's show this year. . .so beautiful, and how the whole ensemble pulls off flight of the bumblebee. . .how?? And got to love that trombone solo, right? I am seeing that Bloo is starting to sound a million times better though. What do you think?

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Originally posted by fireboid View Post
                            Let's over-analyze this costume thing for a moment. Has anyone looked closely at what Bluecoats are wearing? It might seem progressive, but it could also be viewed as unfinished. Last year's costume looked complete, but this year's, maybe not-so-much, yet. I don't expect this to happen, but if it does, then don't forget that you read it here first lol. Tee shirts are worn underneath traditional jackets. The pants have a stripe, like uniform pants. Suspenders are another element of classic uniforms. And the "Jagged Line" could double as a changing room, where the corps goes under cover, slips on its blue coats, then runs out in full uniform during the finale. I suspect that such a twist would be well-received. Just food-for-thought.

                            Regarding Regina's comment about The Cadets, I, too, really like their show this year. I don't know if they'll challenge for another title, but if they look over their shoulders, then I think they will see their crosstown rival quietly sneaking-up on the top cluster of corps with a wicked surprise for one-or-more of them.
                            Jumpin' on the bandwagon here.

                            If this happens, this is where it all came from, y'all. DCP has nothing on this.
                            Formerly muse
                            Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              By the way, I'll take back my comments about the Bloo euphonium soloist. Great changes, goes quite a ways to improving the show.
                              Formerly muse
                              Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Reported. Please remove the above, mods.
                                Formerly muse
                                Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X