Underdog Bands on the rise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underdog Bands on the rise?

Lately I have been seeing different bands starting to make a name for themselves. What bands do you know are rising up? And what do you think of these bands? James Madison(TX) has been steadily improving over the years, and had a wonderful show in 2016. Not only did they win a competition, place only .1 behind first at the next competition as jumped 10 places at BOA San Antonio, they also managed to get chosen as a feature band at the Fiesta Band Festival. What do you think of this band?

I haven't watched the James Madison band, but if I'm cheating, I might say Vandegrift, just because they *still* haven't gone to Nationals and made finals yet. When are they going to do it? They've already won a regional in Texas, and were in the top three in prelims at San Antonio last year (placing first in music effect). As for other "underdog" bands in Texas, maybe Vista Ridge, who has made finals at SA before and could become a national finalist quality group very soon. Also, I think North Shore could start being a threat. Very high quality group. After all, they did top The Woodlands at UIL area, although the judges at that contest were soon revealed to be batsh*t crazy when everyone saw The Woodlands the following week in San Antonio.

Comment

Originally posted by Atropos View Post
      I haven't watched the James Madison band, but if I'm cheating, I might say Vandegrift, just because they *still* haven't gone to Nationals and made finals yet. When are they going to do it? They've already won a regional in Texas, and were in the top three in prelims at San Antonio last year (placing first in music effect). As for other "underdog" bands in Texas, maybe Vista Ridge, who has made finals at SA before and could become a national finalist quality group very soon. Also, I think North Shore could start being a threat. Very high quality group. After all, they did top The Woodlands at UIL area, although the judges at that contest were soon revealed to be batsh*t crazy when everyone saw The Woodlands the following week in San Antonio.
      This is James Madison last year:
      [url]https://youtu.be/mSTt0fmRMY0[/url]

And as far as Vandegrift goes, I see where you are coming from. And what about Keller central?

Comment

Keller Central had an interesting show last year, not to mention the beautiful uniforms, but no-one has really given them the appraisal they deserve.

Comment

Also, at Madison we have what looks to be an amazing show this year (don't know for sure yet) and we have more commitment than ever this year and really good incoming freshman, so my hopes are high for this season. Also, for the first time, we are going to more than one BOA contest, which usually says something.

Comment

Is it that time of year already? Welcome to the forums...

Comment

Originally posted by Allohak View Post
              Lol. Now that the forum is back on the BOA website, this forum is gonna get started a bit earlier.

My answer is probably Rosemount. Great (and unique) design. Ive seen them the last two years. SO MUCH ENERGY. I could see the making GN finals in the next decade.

Comment

Brownsburg and Fishers were the underdogs here in Indiana. Brownsburg has a huge potential to skyrocket to consistent GN Finals band in the next 5 years. Fishers is more gradual, but they have the support of pretty influential people behind the scenes to get up there.

Hendrickson was the big story in Texas.

Park Vista (FL) and Vista Murrieta (CA) came out of nowhere to put themselves right next to the best of the best.

Bellevue West (NE) somehow managed to leapfrog O'Fallon, Union, and Rosemount at St. Louis. No one saw that coming at all.

Trumbull (CT) was a 2-year underdog in the making, being one of the two bands that managed to unseat PA powerhouses Kiski Area and Norwin.
                Formerly muse
                Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allohak View Post
                  IMO we really haven't had this happen since about 2013 & 2014 when there were a few DB'ers on here.

NGL, even if this does happen I'm kind of excited that we might have some actual students on here. Marimba and I were the young blood on here for a while, and we've both been out of high school for a few years.

Comment

Young blood I am. . . But in all seriousness do you consider these posts way too early?

Comment

Originally posted by MadisonBandMan1 View Post
                      Young blood I am. . . But in all seriousness do you consider these posts way too early?
                      I started posting potential rankings back in April, basically as soon as we had the lists. So I definitely don't think it's too early to talk about this kind of stuff.

I think Allohak was referring to the band self-promotion, but I could be wrong.

Comment

Oh OK. I see what you are saying.

Comment

Any thoughts on pioneer hs (TX) ?

Comment

I think Brownsburg's success will continue to skyrocket. If they improve at the right I believe they will over the next few years, we might have another William Mason on our hands come 2020!

Comment

Working...
                            X