2018 Grand National Attendees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DCI2015Fan View Post

Agreed, you can only do so much to teach before it just comes down to the work ethic of the students.
    Absolutely!

Comment

• Hypothetically, 2 bands very similar in size and stature and place close to one another at competitions decide the change their practice schedules. Band A decided they will practice 10 hours a week and band B decides they are going to practice 20 hours a week. Those 10 hours of extra practice will not make them perform better by the end of the season then band A?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jackson View Post
        Hypothetically, 2 bands very similar in size and stature and place close to one another at competitions decide the change their practice schedules. Band A decided they will practice 10 hours a week and band B decides they are going to practice 20 hours a week. Those 10 hours of extra practice will not make them perform better by the end of the season then band A?
        No. It isn't about the number of rehearsal hours, it's about the efficiency within the time you prepare. Band A also decided they were going to practice 10 hours a week, while Band B chose to put competition above everything else and practice 20 hours/week all of the time. Both models can fail if not properly managed.

Comment

• Obviously there are benefits to practicing more, but if not done right then itís just a waste of time.

Comment

• I would have to imagine that a band like Broken Arrow is not going to add rehearsals to the calendar that will be a waste of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheStraightestLegs View Post
              I would have to imagine that a band like Broken Arrow is not going to add rehearsals to the calendar that will be a waste of time.
              Fair point, but I think generally speaking itís a little much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marimba11 View Post

Fair point, but I think generally speaking itís a little much.
                And considering they arenít even doing the extra practice with newer members, but vets, it seems even more like a ďquote on quote waste of timeĒ in the loosest sense.

Comment

• How many hour per week on average did the top 6 at GN practice in September and October of 2017 leading up to GN? I do not know so if anyone can answer that would be great.

Carmel ?
                  BA ?
                  Avon ?
                  Marcus ?
                  Flomo ?
                  DB ?

Comment

How many hour per week on average did the top 6 at GN practice in September and October of 2017 leading up to GN? I do not know so if anyone can answer that would be great.

Carmel ?
                    BA ?
                    Avon ?
                    Marcus ?
                    Flomo ?
                    DB ?
                    Well Marcus & FloMo are Texas bands under UIL rules, so outside of any technicality hours they might be able to scrounge up, 8 hours per week.

Comment

• OK 2 out of 6. Anyone else? Baraboo Lou? You seem like an expert on practice hours. Any input? Or do you have no knowledge of upper tier band practice schedules?

Comment

OK 2 out of 6. Anyone else? Baraboo Lou? You seem like an expert on practice hours. Any input? Or do you have no knowledge of upper tier band practice schedules?
                        Not of the upper 6 listed, but I can say that another frequent GN finalist that I'm familiar with practices roughly 3 hours per day during the school week, and all day Saturday when not competing. Partial days Saturday on comp days if possible. So, 20-23 hours per week during the school year?

Comment

• Thatís a lot of practice! Do you think BOA will ever adopt something like the TX 8hour rule?

Comment

• That's insane. 3 hours of full band rehearsal every day after school? Monday-Friday? Most practice on Saturdays... You also don't talk about summer schedules.. so I'm very curious which band you are talking about? Compare their start date to the spring/summer schedule of others and let's average out the efficiency of time to place a couple of places higher or lower. Could be interesting!

Comment

• Originally posted by BARABOO_LOU View Post
                              That's insane. 3 hours of full band rehearsal every day after school? Monday-Friday? Most practice on Saturdays... You also don't talk about summer schedules.. so I'm very curious which band you are talking about? Compare their start date to the spring/summer schedule of others and let's average out the efficiency of time to place a couple of places higher or lower. Could be interesting!
                              Some of the weekday practices are after school, some are evening. They may include sectionals as well as full band. Some are geared towards visual, some geared towards music. This group has a 3 week band camp on site (8 hrs per day) right before the start of the school year. To my knowledge there is no Spring schedule at all. Prior to band camp there are usually a few optional (music only) rehearsals.

I don't think that's insane. That's probably pretty normal outside of Texas. Keep in mind that once you leave the South you're at the mercy of weather which can turn pretty bad by late October. Early November is more or less a waste some years.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldSchoolTrumpet View Post

Some of the weekday practices are after school, some are evening. They may include sectionals as well as full band. Some are geared towards visual, some geared towards music. This group has a 3 week band camp on site (8 hrs per day) right before the start of the school year. To my knowledge there is no Spring schedule at all. Prior to band camp there are usually a few optional (music only) rehearsals.

I don't think that's insane. That's probably pretty normal outside of Texas. Keep in mind that once you leave the South you're at the mercy of weather which can turn pretty bad by late October. Early November is more or less a waste some years.
                                You have a point there. I used to live in Nebraska so I can imagine what it's like to rehearse in 30 degree weather. It's awful.
                                James Madison HS Band
                                2016 - EnLIGHTened
                                2017 - Nocturnal Creature
                                2018 - The Ascent
                                2019 -

Trombone player, future Meteorology and Music double major (hopefully as a Sooner) and author.

Comment

Working...
                                X