X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is a freaking mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Allohak View Post

There's a healthy mix of current students, recent graduates, and old-timers...
      Some of us "healthier" than others (read OLD). ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolTrumpet View Post
        You kids today. When I was in band we had to travel to competition by horse and wagon. In the snow. Uphill. When we did a Sousa tune John Philip himself would conduct. The guard tossed real rifles too. Not your weenie fiberglass fakes. Loaded too. Catch it wrong and you'd shoot your eye out.
        Best post of the day!! :

You win a bowl of Grape Nuts cereal but you have to go and milk the cow first.

Comment

Originally posted by srv101284 View Post
          This thread is a freaking mess.
          At least it's a fun mess, unlike the bitter mess of the San Antonio vs. Grand Nats thread.
          Last edited by SaxophonesAreCool; 11-14-2017, 03:19 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by Oboe12 View Post

I'm pretty sure this rule only applies to GN though. If not, mistakes have been made.
            I can confirm with 100% certainty this applies to all competitions. I can pm if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by SaxophonesAreCool View Post

I'm fairly certain most of the people here are no longer in high school.
              I have a kid in high school - does that count? I get to endure the drama and angst all over again.....

By the time I did guard we had plugged up the shootin' hole and were spinning just plain old wooden rifles, but they had leather straps and we would tape quarters to the inside so they would go 'tick, tick, tick' when you spun them. We put pinstripe fake holographic tape on them, too, which was extremely groovy. Also, the flag poles were metal and heavy and bounced off the ground like crazy. Thems was the days.

Comment

Originally posted by Allohak View Post

This is about as big as non-issues get. BOA gets judges who are respected members of the activity culture, regardless of who they are or what they look like. It's not as though they've never had woman judges. Marie C was a judge at an event earlier in the season, I believe. Perhaps she was asked about doing GN and she wasn't available. This is just ridiculous and unnecessary commentary.
                Don't forget about Nola Jones at Indy Super

Comment

Originally posted by ArtsFan1 View Post

Interesting feedback coming from a straight white man. You're telling me BOA couldn't find one qualified woman?? That there are no women who are respected members of the activity culture???

As posted on facebook: I would like to take this time to thank all the dynamic intelligent women that judged at BOA this past weekend! without them it would be just a good old boy network of farting self aggrandizers. . .

you'd be surprised the discussion it's prompted and by whom.

Thinking it's a non-issue proves the privilege you have....
                  See, this is why social justice protesters get such a bad rep. We are talking about MARCHING BAND and you have to bring gender/sexual orientation into this? How is this relevant?

Comment

Originally posted by MadisonBandMan1 View Post
                    Probably the wrong thread to ask this, but it's popular so... Can someone please explain the summer shield to me? What is it, how does one band get it, and when/where is it given out?
                    If you are talking about the sudler shield, It is basically an achievement award given to groups who have been proven to demonstrate at a world class level. It's a huge honor to get.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoaDci View Post
                      I dont even know what I would change. There really needs to be a better way to find bias in judging though. I learned firsthand this year.
                      I agree. One thing that stood out to me was music individual. Castle 3rd, Carmel 5th, Homestead 22nd (This category is likely what kept them out of finals.) Something just seems a bit off here.

Comment

• Originally posted by trumpette123 View Post
                        I would change GE.. I think it could tank or make a score, specifically Music GE
                        I would like it if the GE category were done like DCI with all judges assigned to that category judging the overall GE, not just the "music" or "visual" side.

Comment

• I think BOA judging should drop the highest subcaption and lowest subcaption scores for each band to attempt to remove bias. Itís a system that is used and UIL and I think it would be helpful to introduce it to BOA.

Comment

• Originally posted by mello2016 View Post
                            I think BOA judging should drop the highest subcaption and lowest subcaption scores for each band to attempt to remove bias. Itís a system that is used and UIL and I think it would be helpful to introduce it to BOA.
                            Huh. Interesting.

Comment

• Originally posted by mello2016 View Post
                              I think BOA judging should drop the highest subcaption and lowest subcaption scores for each band to attempt to remove bias. Itís a system that is used and UIL and I think it would be helpful to introduce it to BOA.
                              UIL no longer drops the high and low ordinal placement (they have never used raw scores in determining a winner).

From the UIL website
                              The five judges' ranking for each band will then be added together. The high and low will NOT be eliminated. All scores will count.
                              Ties are broken by comparing which band was preferred by more judges.

Under this system, Grand National Finals results would have looked exactly the same as adding the raw scores.
                              Formerly HeWhoWaits - join date 7-16-2008
                              1067 posts and wrongly "banned for spam"

Comment

• They really need to do what DCI does and have 30% of score for music, 30% for visual, and 40% for General Effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X