Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is WGI a taboo subject here?

Because man it was on FIRE this year!

It definitely is not, just users here lean really heavily towards the marching subsidiary of pageantry arts. Truth be told, if you asked some of us about the color guards, I don't think we would have much of an answer since we don't follow WGI as closely.
    Formerly muse
    Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

Some of the regulars here know/follow it a lot more than others (looking at you, Sergio and Todd)

I, for one, just don't know enough about it to comment. I should be better about it, what with championships right in my backyard

Comment

I would love to have more conversation about it for those of us who ARE followers of the activity. If Leander momma is actually a Leander parent? Congratulations on your guard scoring ALL THE POINTS! And if any Marian catholic kids or parents are on here, congratulations on your successes this winter as well. Glad to see them back to being competitive after a few years of limbo after their dabble in World class about 5 years ago? Maybe 6?

Avon and Carmel... this rivalry is getting out. Of. Con.trol!! Both of those guards were on fire Friday night. Those two programs just seem to not want to get away from each other at this point. If Carmel gets a world drumline that can compete soon who knows whatíll happen! But from watching their drumline this winter, they may still be a little ways from that.

Comment

Donít know too much about guard but we worked at the mid-Atlantic regional as a fundraiser for our band to host and actually saw Paramount guard and Etude at the end of the night. I thought ďwow this looks impressiveĒ ... then 1st place in finals in IW lol

Comment

I tried replying to Ricky, but when I went back to edit a typo, I got flagged for sp*m. Does this happen a lot? :/

I am a Leander band momma, btw. Not just my nickname. My band kid graduated last May but we still very much follow both BOA and WGI! Iíll forever be a fan.

Comment

While speaking from uninformed perspective, it's not hard to feel proud of the strong color guards in Indiana, with all 5 SW color guards making finals. GC did not attend, but are green in SW at the moment having been promoted this year.

3 of 6 color guards made SO finals, specifically Ben Davis, Fishers, and Hamilton Southeastern. Fishers didn't quite have the follow-up to their top 5 season last year, but still a commendable finish in 15th. Ben Davis's 7th is setting them up nicely for a strong season in the fall. This has been the first time in several years since Ben Davis had a high finish like that. Hamilton Southeastern's finals appearance can only mean good things for a program trying to climb. Very far from state finals consideration, but getting a smidge closer with the WGI finish.

Decatur Central finishes second runner-up in SA as the lone Indiana representative. Decatur is very far from any ISSMA Class A consideration (more than Hamilton Southeastern), but building on the runner-up momentum will be huge. If Decatur Central moves back to Class B, easy pick for state finals.
              Last edited by thewho; 04-16-2018, 08:28 PM.
              Formerly muse

Comment

Originally posted by thewho View Post
                While speaking from uninformed perspective, it's not hard to feel proud of the strong color guard in Indiana, with all 5 SW color guards making finals. GC did not attend, but are green in SW at the moment having been promoted this year.

3 of 6 color guards made SO finals, specifically Ben Davis, Fishers, and Hamilton Southeastern. Fishers didn't quite have the follow-up to their top 5 season last year, but still a commendable finish in 15th. Ben Davis's 7th is setting them up nicely for a strong season in the fall. This has been the first time in several years since Ben Davis had a high finish like that. Hamilton Southeastern's finals appearance can only mean good things for a program trying to climb. Very far from state finals consideration, but getting a smidge closer with the WGI finish.

Decatur Central finishes runner-up in SA as the lone Indiana representative. Decatur is very far from any Class A consideration (more than Hamilton Southeastern), but building on the runner-up momentum will be huge. If Decatur Central moves back to Class B, easy pick for state finals.
                You Indiana folks are blessed, having both BOA GN and WGI World Championships in your backyard. That would certainly help cultivate fantastic competition amongst the local bands!

Comment

Congrats to Leander - Gold, Marian Catholic -Silver and Decatur C. -Bronze!

While speaking from uninformed perspective, it's not hard to feel proud of the strong color guard in Indiana, with all 5 SW color guards making finals. GC did not attend, but are green in SW at the moment having been promoted this year.

Decatur Central finishes runner-up in SA as the lone Indiana representative. Decatur is very far from any Class A consideration (more than Hamilton Southeastern), but building on the runner-up momentum will be huge. If Decatur Central moves back to Class B, easy pick for state finals.

Comment

GC did not attend, but are green in SW at the moment having been promoted this year
                    Setting the record straight, Greenfield Central was promoted last year and made Scholastic World Finals in 2017.

I have no idea what happened there this year, if they lost a strong class or if staff changed, but they had issues all season long. They were registered for Champs but pulled out. Hopefully they can get back to their form since someone posted they are coming to GN next fall.

Comment

Originally posted by BARABOO_LOU View Post
                      Congrats to Leander - Gold, Marian Catholic -Silver and Decatur C. -Bronze!
                      You're right on the bronze finish for Decatur Central, my bad.
                      Formerly muse

Comment

Don't get on here much in the off season but saw the WGI post and had to comment as a big WGI guard fan (percussion on the other hand, I don't follow too much).

Gotta agree finals were on FIRE! Avon and Carmel's programs are just incredible. I don't know how they these programs are so consistent in both BOA and WGI! The south Florida guards is where it was at for me. Entertainment value was off the charts. West Broward was a party, stunning design and performance quality. My favorite show of the year period. Tarpon was so much fun and cool despite not quite being at the level they were in 2016. Wish they would attend every year. Flanagan came back this year with a fire soundtrack and such a talented group of kids. And of course Stoneman Douglas, so great to see them make the trip and put on an incredible performance after all they have gone through. So impressed with them.

Shout out to my Ohio guards too! Milford was fabulous in open, Colerain was SOO CLEAN, cool to see Middletown in finals as well. Miamisburg represented well in world for what seemed like a younger guard but beautiful show. Bellbrook had a great program that I thought was really underscored. Hope they can continue to grow. Also to note, Mason actually came out with a guard program this year. They had two elementary guards and two full high school guards. Did not compete at WGI but man if they keep this up that guard will be world class in no time. They just know how to perform.

Independent guards that impressed me were AMP, Fantasia, Paramount, Pride, CGT, Etude and Juxtaposition. AMP was my favorite. Such a cool show and those guys were amazing. CGT is also a cool program not the rise breaking the mold. They all were fabulous as well as the Brigadiers in Open and South Shore in A!

Glad to see a topic on WGI here! Wish there was a forum like this or DCP for WGI.

Comment

The Leander guard is still on cloud 9 for not only winning SA gold on their first trip to Dayton, but for setting a new record with that 99.40 final score! They even made the Austin local news last night on the ABC network.

So proud of these kids!

Comment

Originally posted by wolfgang. View Post

Setting the record straight, Greenfield Central was promoted last year and made Scholastic World Finals in 2017.

I have no idea what happened there this year, if they lost a strong class or if staff changed, but they had issues all season long. They were registered for Champs but pulled out. Hopefully they can get back to their form since someone posted they are coming to GN next fall.
                            They were a little snake bit this year and had some early issues that put them behind the eight ball. However, the straw that broke the camelís back was losing their feature flag soloist the week after Indiana State Finals and right before the Cincy power regional.

Comment

All of those finals scores were inflated. Iím not disagreeing with the spread between 1st and 3rd.. but way too high.

Originally posted by LeanderMomma View Post
                              The Leander guard is still on cloud 9 for not only winning SA gold on their first trip to Dayton, but for setting a new record with that 99.40 final score! They even made the Austin local news last night on the ABC network.

So proud of these kids!

Comment

Working...
                              X