I wish I had a magic spamkiller wand...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Horatio_Rastapopulous View Post
    I pop in here only a few times a year for nostalgia because I'm not involved in the marching community anymore (although it will always hold a place dear in my heart because of the memories and friends) but I apparently still have my moderating powers that were granted back when moderators were first introduced in like 2003. I can delete posts but my power is being wasted. I'd gladly give up my moderator position if someone else who is responsible wants to take it.
    You may want to clear out your pm's, because I can't message you about this. Although... we may have to go a different route if you haven't been here for a while.
    Formerly muse
    Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

That would be awesome of you! There are some long time and very active members here who would be perfect for the job!

Comment

Yeah thewho and He_Who_Waits would be perfect for that job.
        James Madison HS Band
        2016 - EnLIGHTened
        2017 - Nocturnal Creature
        2018 - The Ascent
        2019 -

Trombone player, future Meteorology and Music double major (hopefully as a Sooner) and author.

Comment

I pop in here only a few times a year for nostalgia because I'm not involved in the marching community anymore (although it will always hold a place dear in my heart because of the memories and friends) but I apparently still have my moderating powers that were granted back when moderators were first introduced in like 2003. I can delete posts but my power is being wasted. I'd gladly give up my moderator position if someone else who is responsible wants to take it.
          Unfortunately, the problem isn't with a willingness on the part of existing moderators to "step aside" but with a complete lack of responsiveness from MFA when individuals attempt to step forward.

Formerly HeWhoWaits - join date 7-16-2008
          1067 posts and wrongly "banned for spam"

Comment

I just thought about this, but the other forums on this website such as general discussion will will be completely empty once someone gets around to deleting all the spam here, and I think that is both funny and sad.
            James Madison HS Band
            2016 - EnLIGHTened
            2018 - The Ascent
            2019 -

Trombone player, future Meteorology and Music double major (hopefully as a Sooner) and author.

Comment

Originally posted by MadisonBandMan1 View Post
              I just thought about this, but the other forums on this website such as general discussion will will be completely empty once someone gets around to deleting all the spam here, and I think that is both funny and sad.
              The other forums were dormant looooooooooooooong before spam ever became a problem. The General Discussion forum even got only a small amount of activity even back when the forums were hosted on the old BOA website, before the switch was made to vBulletin. I'm talking over a decade ago. If we can get the spam issue taken care of it would probably be best if someone with admin powers just dumped everything else and made it into just one forum. There isn't enough activity to have others.

Comment

Ok, so one of my posts I spent a solid 45 minutes on got marked as spam from the DCI topic after editing a typo in my post, are there any moderators that can approve the post?

Comment

Originally posted by abtwitch View Post
                  Ok, so one of my posts I spent a solid 45 minutes on got marked as spam from the DCI topic after editing a typo in my post, are there any moderators that can approve the post?
                  dbalash Send a pm to that guy. <--
                  Last edited by MadisonBandMan1; 07-23-2018, 06:51 PM. Reason: Added info
                  James Madison HS Band
                  2016 - EnLIGHTened
                  2018 - The Ascent
                  2019 -

Comment

good grief! Same thing happened to me once when I edited a comment. Never did see that post again.

Comment

Has happened to me a few times. So ridiculous that the spam filter flags legit posts because of a quick edit yet it can't do anything to stop real spam.

Comment

Originally posted by Linus View Post
                        I, too, wish you had a magic spamkiller wand. I try to pop in and clean up the first few pages once a week or so. I deleted probably 100 or so spam threads just a few minutes ago and they are endless once you get deeper into the forum. Some of us are still trying to keep the spam out of here
                        you really need to kill the spam accounts. I would LOVE to help. I have done this on other BB
                        This is not a signature

Comment

I would gladly help.
                          This is not a signature

Comment

Originally posted by krby71 View Post

you really need to kill the spam accounts. I would LOVE to help. I have done this on other BB
                            We can't. When the forums were updated the last time, we lost the ability to ban accounts.

Comment

Originally posted by dbalash View Post

We can't. When the forums were updated the last time, we lost the ability to ban accounts.
                              That sucks. Can you at least recruit more people to help delete spam posts?
                              James Madison HS Band
                              2016 - EnLIGHTened
                              2018 - The Ascent
                              2019 -

Comment

Originally posted by MadisonBandMan1 View Post

That sucks. Can you at least recruit more people to help delete spam posts?
                                He probably would if he could. I don't think any of the admins can award admin privileges directly. Only the MFA staff could.

It's become clear they really don't care too much about this place. I get why, just disappointed there's proper announcement about any future plans. I have a feeling this place will be shut down without a stickie of any kind.
                                Formerly muse
                                Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

Working...
                                X