No announcement yet.

2019 BOA Fall Schedule

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also a Tulsa regional will do nothing to stop the bursting of Texas bands. All the 7-22 bands from DFW will just flock up four more hours to have a better chance at finals.

Comment

• Originally posted by principalagent View Post
      Also a Tulsa regional will do nothing to stop the bursting of Texas bands. All the 7-22 bands from DFW will just flock up four more hours to have a better chance at finals.
      Most likely.

But you'd also have a good chance for BA, Union, Owasso, Jenks, BS, etc to meet up in their backyard.

Comment

• It's bumpin time

Comment

• Originally posted by Allohak View Post
          Ideally, we'd see a schedule of regionals which are roughly equidistant all across the country, or at least spread to match areas of consistent participation better.

For that, we can do a few things:

-Move the NE OH regional back to west-central PA.
          -Indianapolis Super can go away (since Indy gets GN).
          -Drop one (or two...) of the 7 (!) events in Texas (because no one needs to have 4 regionals along a single 4-hour stretch of highway. I'm sorry, but Dallas, Waco, Austin, AND San Antonio is beyond excessive).
          -Use Clarksville ahead of Louisville.
          -Add Denver.
          -Bring back Jacksonville and Gaffney in the southeast.
          -Keep trying in the PNW.
          -Maybe have a regional in Tulsa.
          -Try again in the northeast. Hofstra's stadium isn't hosting football games...

It makes sense in my head, at least
          - BOA won't go back to PA as there aren't many PA bands that attended the show to begin with, plus there is a big difference in stadiums/venues as well as host.
          - Indy Super will never go away. With how the schedule works it gives non Grand Nats Indiana bands a chance to have a run inside LOS before State Finals. Kinda like how BOA SA and those groups
          - Again, why drop the Texas shows when those are the shows making money funding the organization?
          - Clarksville will be used, only if Louisville isn't available. Clarksville does not have enough seating capacity for the schools that attend.
          - No Colorado in the near future. They have been trying, but how the circuit is set up out there. However, MFA is a co-sponsor for their State Finals out there.
          - Sad to not see Jacksonville on the schedule, but JSU's football schedule and JSU hosting their own contest did not allow MFA to have a Regional there. They both knew this and both know it will be back next year. Just a year off, so no worries!
          - For a PNW show to happen you have to have groups that would attend. They tried putting it out there already and no one came, so why waste money.
          - Tulsa is a good pick, but it would still have a bunch of Texas group mixed with OK and AR bands.
          - Just like the PNW, the Northeast bands aren't big BOA fans/attenders. There has to be interest for a show to happen rather than then seeing a void on a map. That is how the Northern California show started, directors gathered support and pledge they would attend. We now see what happens when groups don't attend, they pull the show and place it in a new area where groups will attend.

Comment

• Originally posted by BandFanInfo1 View Post
            - No Colorado in the near future. They have been trying, but how the circuit is set up out there. However, MFA is a co-sponsor for their State Finals out there.
            Yes, our state circuit is tightly scheduled from week to week, but so is Indiana’s —- you can’t host any event without stomping on the toes of at least five other invitationals on any given weekend. Florida’s schedule is similarly tightly-packed, but BOA managed to field an incredibly successful regional there this year. I’m not sure what local invitationals it coincided with, but I’m sure there were some either displaced or still held but with low attendance. Plus, Colorado’s in-state schedule is preplanned so thoroughly and so well in advance (as opposed to Indiana or Florida, where schools just choose the weekend they want to host an invitational based on little more than their own schools stadium availability), CBA could EASILY carve out a weekend in the schedule for a BOA contest should MFA reach out to show interest, and/or convert a large local show into the BOA event.

I still maintain that Colorado is the state ripest for a BOA infiltration into their band world —- plenty of competitive groups & current designers, active WGI groups, and most in fairly well off suburbs or wealthy mountain towns. The groups just don’t have a BOA regional within a day trip. Plus, as I mentioned in a previous thread, a front range BOA regional could also draw groups from Wyoming’s insular, old school circuit, and would also be the closest BOA event for Bozeman, Montana’s single competitive high school marching band, who currently travels to Idaho or Spokane to compete.

Comment

• Originally posted by Allohak View Post
              Ideally, we'd see a schedule of regionals which are roughly equidistant all across the country, or at least spread to match areas of consistent participation better.

For that, we can do a few things:

-Move the NE OH regional back to west-central PA.
              -Indianapolis Super can go away (since Indy gets GN).
              -Drop one (or two...) of the 7 (!) events in Texas (because no one needs to have 4 regionals along a single 4-hour stretch of highway. I'm sorry, but Dallas, Waco, Austin, AND San Antonio is beyond excessive).
              -Use Clarksville ahead of Louisville.
              -Add Denver.
              -Bring back Jacksonville and Gaffney in the southeast.
              -Keep trying in the PNW.
              -Maybe have a regional in Tulsa.
              -Try again in the northeast. Hofstra's stadium isn't hosting football games...

It makes sense in my head, at least
              Why trim the Texas schedule if those Regionals are drawing full slates? What are you trying to accomplish?

Comment

• Originally posted by LeanderMomma

Well hopefully MFA is trying to accomplish “music for all.” Frankly our Midland Regional seems a bit wasteful along with the Waco regional. I believe a Tulsa regionals would do exceptionally well with all of those powerful Oklahoma bands, some NW Arkansas bands and surely some Texas bands. The Texas bands that currently attend Midland could head up there even, and certainly the N Texas groups could go. And I would dearly LOVE to see Broken Arrow vs some of the top Texas programs outside of the Grand Nationals arena. I can’t help but think it could be a huge boost for BOA and MFA!
                I think a Tulsa regional would greatly benefit BOA. There are too many regionals in Texas, and it wouldn't hurt to move one to a more centralized location. Bands from Kansas, Arkansas, North Texas, Missouri, and of course Oklahoma would have a very competitive regional that does not require a long journey to get to. I would also love to see the top Oklahoma bands competing against some amazing Texas bands! It could definitely turn into one of BOA's most competitive regionals.

Comment

• I wouldn't be surprised if MFA was keeping a Tulsa regional under covers until the Texas demands are met. If one were to move the Midland regional to Tulsa, that'd just mean a lot of Texan bands pushing out local interest from the non-Texan bands instead. There are significantly a lot more Texan bands (maybe perhaps twice the programs in other states) that want to do BOA over those in other states.

Speculation, of course.
                  Formerly muse
                  Otherwise known as "thewho" on IM.com

Comment

• None of the Texas regionals are wasteful right now. They are all well attended and make money for the organizations. Especially with increasing misgivings with UIL, more and more programs are chomping at the bit to start BOA participation. Bands are even moving their UIL dates to participate in BOA. And it clearly is not working either, considering Texas bands are flooding out of state regionals in increasing number.

Personally I cannot wait for some middle tier Texas band to find a reason to get to NE OH or Delaware and completely sweep up a gold medal they would not dream of in Texas. Having a wealth of competitions in Texas protects this from happening in the near time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jake W. View Post

Yes, our state circuit is tightly scheduled from week to week, but so is Indiana’s —- you can’t host any event without stomping on the toes of at least five other invitationals on any given weekend. Florida’s schedule is similarly tightly-packed, but BOA managed to field an incredibly successful regional there this year. I’m not sure what local invitationals it coincided with, but I’m sure there were some either displaced or still held but with low attendance. Plus, Colorado’s in-state schedule is preplanned so thoroughly and so well in advance (as opposed to Indiana or Florida, where schools just choose the weekend they want to host an invitational based on little more than their own schools stadium availability), CBA could EASILY carve out a weekend in the schedule for a BOA contest should MFA reach out to show interest, and/or convert a large local show into the BOA event.

I still maintain that Colorado is the state ripest for a BOA infiltration into their band world —- plenty of competitive groups & current designers, active WGI groups, and most in fairly well off suburbs or wealthy mountain towns. The groups just don’t have a BOA regional within a day trip. Plus, as I mentioned in a previous thread, a front range BOA regional could also draw groups from Wyoming’s insular, old school circuit, and would also be the closest BOA event for Bozeman, Montana’s single competitive high school marching band, who currently travels to Idaho or Spokane to compete.
                      I think a Denver regional would be incredible. I mean, we have one in Utah and the number of competitive bands in CO exceeds those in Utahat this point. I don't think there is a band in CO that at this point could beat American Fork, but they sure would push them and add in some of the other bands from Utah, as well as Clovis NM... that would be a great, very competitive regional.

Comment

I’m still not convinced an Oklahoma regional wouldn’t be well attended. Or that we really need the Waco regional. I love all of the Texas BOAs, don’t get me wrong, but I think it’s past time for a Tulsa or OKC regional.
                        Think about some of the bands that would attend...

Less Texas bands would attend, but still enough for successful event
                        You would get lots of Oklahoma bands that do not participate in BOA currently
                        Get the normal groups in BA, Union, Jenks...
                        Groups from the surrounding states (MO, AR, KS)
                        Maybe a few stragglers from NM or LA too

This could be a very successful show with lots of potential. DFW is already one of the most highly competitive show of the season and adding a show like this would make it even better.

Comment

• I would not bet on Broken Arrow attending that regional. Especially if any band that regularly ends up in the top half at San Antonio attends.

Comment

• A Tulsa regional absolutely should happen, but perhaps mfa doesn't want to step on the toes of successful local invitationals that already use BOA sheets and are major fundraisers for the host programs (Union, Owasso, BA to name a few) I could easily see broken arrow skipping if there was a tulsa regional, even though i think that's dumb. But I don't think BOA needs them to. Pretty sure the other major tulsa players would attend, and would think that the major arkansas, missouri and kansas programs would as well. Dallas area programs are already willing to go to contests like renegade review, so it's easy to imagine quite a few coming to a theoretical regional.

also, i think the waco regional should stay. Most of the texas regionals are early season, it's nice to have a mid-season contest with a little more luster, with its big, beautiful stadium and central location that draws a deep, varied field of contenders that don't often compete against each other. it's like halfway to a super regional.

Comment

• Originally posted by principalagent View Post
                              I would not bet on Broken Arrow attending that regional. Especially if any band that regularly ends up in the top half at San Antonio attends.
                              Jammy beat me to it - I was going to say the same thing.

Comment

Yeah you have said that before. So interesting really. Why is BA so afraid to tackle a competition full of Texas bands? They would surely do extremely well.
                                There seems to be a certain amount of "we don't want other groups to see what we're doing" early in the season (not just from BA, from many of the top-level groups) when there's time to take ideas from other performances and implement them into your show.

If I've got a really cool, unique, new design, I might not want other groups I'll be competing against to see what I'm doing and "steal" the material/idea for their own use against me.

Comment

Working...
                                X